You look different…

I spent the afternoon completely redesigning the website, preparing the space to house my online portfolio. This overhaul served two purposes:

  • The online portfolio is a class project, and I want a good grade.
  • I wanted to adjust the focus of the page towards my professional endeavors.

I’m pretty happy with the results so far. I managed to trim most of the areas that didn’t really belong. No more program source code, or duplicate information in the about/FAQ pages. I still plan to use the blog, but now it will serve as both a personal and professional space.

Ground Score!

When one is a tinkerer, one learns to keep their eyes open for potentially interesting “junk”. This is a finely honed habit of mine that I’m fairly certain will cause relationship strife over the years, as my lady is kind of a minimalist. Tonight as we headed out for a date, I noticed a neighbor had placed a small pile of items at their curb for free. I couldn’t resist slowing down and taking a closer look. As it turns out, most of it was junk. Terra cotta pots, some weird shelves, kids toys… But then, I noticed a plug that looked suspiciously like an OBDII plug coming from under the pile. Molly was giving me a sideways glance, but my inner scavenger had to investigate further.

Good this he did, because this is what we ended up finding:

Score! Maybe?

Score! Maybe?

It was exactly what I thought it might be! A small OBDII scanner, sweet! The question is: Does it work? It seemed possible likely that it might have ended up in that pile because it wasn’t working. Who would throw out a working one? They aren’t super inexpensive. What is the first thing one should do with newly scavenged items? TAKE IT APART!
The back. Thrilling.

Two screws later, the cover was off. No batteries were seen that would need to be replaced. So that’s a plus.
IMG_0447

Closeup of the back of the board. (I apologize for the less than ideal lighting.)
The back.

And the front… Boring! Also disappointing, because the LCD is soldered to the back. Probably sturdier, but it would have been nice if it was attached to headers and could easily be removed for other projects, working under the assumption that it doesn’t actually work. Those two large copper areas are the contact point for the buttons on the front of the case.
The front

With not much going on inside the case, it was quickly reassembled. After going to the internets to find a manual, I set about plugging it into my car for the moment of truth. And….. It works!
It works!

Surprise surprise, the ERG is throwing errors again…
Stupid EGR

And that’s the story for tonight. Never hurts to keep your eyes on the curbs for goodies. Every now and then, you come out with a nice ground score.

ens0 redesign and new home.

Due to time constraints and bandwidth issues, I’ve move ens0.info out of my house to a hosting site.

I also decided to make the switch to WordPress, which means a complete overhaul of the ens0 website. Once I can set aside some time to move over the the old content, I’ll repopulate it over here. Hopefully this will end up being a bit cleaner as I’m not hacking it together with my not-top-notch HTML/CSS skills.